Before and After Treatment
Termites like moisture
Don't provide termites with extra food
- Eliminate water in gutters, puddles or other areas where water might gather on or near your home.
- Repair any plumbing or drainage problems.
- Laying down plastic barriers in crawl spaces, basements and attics will help keep these areas dry.
Damp spots and cracks are an open invitation
- Remove lumber or freestanding wood from the base of your home.
- Don't plant trees too close to your home.
- Clip away any vegetation, such as shrubs, that might be touching the foundation or walls.
Don't take any chances
- Check outdoor faucets and gutters for leaks.
- Ventilate humid crawl spaces.
- Repair cracks and holes in the foundation with caulk.
Have your home inspected each year by a professional. It doesn't take long and can mean early detection, which can save you time and money. It might even save your home.
After treatment, there are simple steps you can take to help ensure maximum results:
- Keep shrubbery trimmed and away from your house
- Clear water and debris out of gutters
- Make sure indoor and outdoor plumbing remains leak-free
- Seal cracks in your foundation, patio, steps or masonry siding
- Correct all conditions that can allow termites to survive and invade a structure, such as repairing water leaks and wood in contact with the soil
- Have your home inspected annually by a professional to ensure termites haven't returned
Your Risk by State
Click to enlarge
1 Potter, M. (2011). Handbook of pest control. (10th ed., pp. 300-301).
2 Michigan State University
Protect Your Investment
Termite queens generally live 15-to-20 years, while some live up to 50 years. If conditions are right, they will stay at your home and repeatedly reproduce. It only takes two to three years to produce a swarm, which may consist of as many as 60,000 termites.
At this size, a colony can devour a foot of 2x4 in only six months.2 And since termites often go undetected, entire support beams can be destroyed before they are discovered.
This is why it’s so important to know what to look for. Discover the signs of a termite infestation here.
For use by individuals/firms licensed or registered by the state to apply termiticide products.
© Syngenta. Important: Always read and follow label instructions. Some products may not be registered for sale or use in all states or counties. Please check with your state or local Extension Service to ensure registration status. Altriset®, For Life Uninterrupted™ and the Syngenta logo are trademarks of a Syngenta Group Company.